Thursday, July 19, 2007

Settlers of Catan: The New Table Fellowship?

In an age of microwave burrios and drive-thru fast food (both of which I like entirely too much) we have lost in important aspect of community: table fellowship. Something about eating together draws us into closer relationship with one another. How can we restore that kind of fellowship? I suggest we consider turning to gaming.

Last Friday I picked up a copy of the game Settlers of Catan. For those who are not familiar with the game, it is often considered a "gateway game" into strategy-based Eurogames, often known as "designer games". Apparently I have been quite out of the loop. Last February when I returned to school after winter break, someone in my formation group mentioned that he spent most of the break playing Settlers. Nearly half the group of about a dozen of us said they had played the game. I felt hopelessly behind.

But praise God, as of Friday last week, the word "behind" no longer applies to me (at leat in reference to Settlers). Since purchacing the game, I have played at least one game every single day, mostly with my wife and our friends, Brian and Kathy. The fact that it appeals to both Brian and me, who tend to like these kinds of games, and also to our wives, who do not usually like these kinds of games, speaks volumes about why it is so popular. In fact the women have been the ones most likely to suggest getting together to play each night. One thing that makes it particularly fun is that players are not eliminated one-by-one from the game but stay in the game until one person wins.
If you have never played, you really ought to check it out. But be warned - it is addicting. Diana and I have decided that we will exercise the Christian virtue of self-control by taking a night off from playing in order to get some sleep.

2 comments:

Christopher Heard said...

Fun stuff! I wish you many hours of enjoyment. I have only played Settlers once, but found it quite engaging.

Ryan Jones said...

Thanks for the encouragement Chris, but you were supposed to comment on my next post where I take issue with your interpretation of Genesis 1. I guess I will take what comments I can get. :)

I found a great site to play Settlers of Catan online for free (it's called Xplorers, but it's the same thing). Check it out everyone.